Sunday, May 1, 2011

Matched

Cover of Matched by Ally Condie
I just finished a book the other day called Matched by Ally Condie. I was satisfied with this book, but it wasn't fantastic, in my opinion.

It is about a 17 year old girl who grew up in a place where their government called "The Society" dictates everything; From what they eat to who they will marry and have children with to what their career will be and when they will die. It starts off with the main character, Cassie, on her way to her Match banquet. Where she will find out who she is going to spend the rest of her life with. When her name is called her match ends up being her best friend Xander. It is extremely uncommon for your match to be someone you know, or even someone from the same city/region as you. Later when she inserts the chip with Xander's information, that everyone receives to inform them about their match, another boy's face shows up. She knows this boy too. Throughout the book she tries to figure out why this other boy's face showed up. And discovers that she has feelings for him as well.  She has to decide whether to fight for him and go against The Society or to stay with Xander.

This book reminded me a lot of The Giver, which I read in grade 8 for my English class. It definitely makes you really appreciate all the free will that we have. And even though it may seem daunting at times, the big choices that we all have to make in life are our own to make and that is the way it should be.

I didn't really enjoy the ending, I thought it was kind of inconclusive. I'm not sure if the author is making a sequel or not, I hope so though. It feels very unfinished. I think it came out fairly recently, within the past year or so, therefore a second book probably won't be out for another year or so if one is planned.

The next book I'm reading is called Fallen by Lauren Kate. I'm actually almost done it. So hopefully I'll have time to post my thoughts about it tomorrow or the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment