Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Hunger Games

Cover of The Hunger Games by
Suzanne Collins
I just finished reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins the other day and I really enjoyed it.
I must admit, it was a pretty intense book. I'll do my best not to give anything away here.

The book is set in the future, when the States is now known as Panem. It is ruled by a city called the Capitol and there are 12 districts within Panem (used to be 13). Each year two tributes are taken from each district, one boy and one girl, between the ages of 12 and 18 (Might be 19, can't remember). These tributes are taken and put into a massive arena to fight to the death.

The book is split up into 3 parts. In the first part we are introduced to Katniss Everdeen, a teenage girl who hunts in order to keep her family fed. She has a younger sister, Primrose (Prim for short) and a mother to take care of. Ever since her father died in a mining explosion she has been the breadwinner for her family. Katniss ends up being the female tribute for District 12.

In the second part, Katniss finds herself being prepared for the games, along with all of the other tributes. They must go through interviews, and they have 3 days of training. And then they are thrown into the arena, where it's every man/woman for themselves.

In the third part the hunger games are over... now I don't want to give anything away so I'm not going to say any more than that. You'll just have to read it for yourself to find out what happens!

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a good easy read. It's a real page turner. I've even been so nice as to lend my copy of the book to my sister and her boyfriend... And I never lend out my books!

I am also very pleased to announce that they are making a movie. The movie is set to come out in late March next year (2012). Jennifer Lawrence is going to play Katniss and Josh Hutcherson will be playing Peeta. Check it all out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment